Monday, July 7, 2014

Crafting Days!: From drawing to real life card!



I was approached by a good friend at work to create a custom card for her boyfriend's birthday a few weeks ago. She wanted to give him something special and rather than buy a card from a store, she wanted to make it more personalized by designing it herself.

She absolutely loves penguins and both her and her boyfriend share an entire family of stuffed penguin dolls so she based her design off of one of the newest additions. She first drew the penguin and asked if it could be done. Liking the challenge, I agreed to help her and I am glad it did because the card is super cute!

At first, I didn't know whether or not I should redraw the image in Photoshop and then transfer it over to the Silhouette Cameo design software to trace and cut. Then I thought to myself "why not just take a picture?".

I quickly took a picture of the drawing and transferred it straight into Silhouette studio and traced it using the circle tool as shown below.


I then used the wield tool to combine all of the shapes to form the shape of the body. The hardest part was definitely the eyes since they were curved and I had to manually move the lines to match. I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to fit it into one sheet of paper which would make assembling easier but after some rotating it did!



Standing at about 6.5inches tall, here is the final result!



No comments:

Post a Comment